Focus and Scope
Chimères accepts the submission of papers which deal with any aspect of French or Francophone literatures. Our goal is to contribute to and encourage the expansion of research and scholarship in all fields of Francophone study.
Peer Review Process
Chimères employs a blind peer review process with at least two referees evaluating each manuscript submitted. Reviewers may be members of the publication’s editorial team or ad hoc reviewers with specialized knowledge related to the topic at hand. All reviewers possess an advanced degree and a record of scholarly publication in French or Francophone literatures and cultures or related fields.
Open Access Policy
Authors retain copyright and grant the journal right of first publication with the work simultaneously licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution Non-Commercial 4.0 International License that allows others to share the work with an acknowledgement of the work's authorship and initial publication in this journal.
1. License. This contract is the sole and exclusive agreement between the author and Chimèresregarding the manuscript and supersedes all prior conversations and understandings between the two parties regarding its subject matter. This contract may be modified or supplemented only by signed agreement between both parties.
You hereby grant to us a worldwide, non-exclusive, perpetual, irrevocable, royalty-free, sub-licensable license to reproduce, distribute and display the edited manuscript within Chimères in any media now or hereafter known (be it an online or hardcopy version of Chimères )
You agree not to publish the Work, or authorize any third party to publish the Work, either in print or electronically, prior to publication of the Work by Chimères. Thus, the foregoing licenses are exclusive to us prior to our publication of the manuscript.
By submitting a manuscript for publication in Chimères, you confirm that the manuscript has not been published before submission to Chimères and is not currently being considered for publication elsewhere.
2. Copyright. As the author, you retain the copyright for your Work. Works published in Chimères will be distributed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International license.
3. Other Confirmations. You confirm that you are the manuscript’s author(s); you have the right to convey the foregoing licenses; the manuscript does not infringe any third party copyright, publicity/privacy right or other proprietary right; and the manuscript is not defamatory or otherwise unlawful. You shall defend and indemnify us against all claims based on any alleged breach of your confirmations in this contract.
4. Royalties. You will receive no royalty or other monetary return from Chimères for use of the article.
5. Author rights. As the author, you retain the following rights, including but not limited to, the right:
- To reproduce and distribute the Work after publication in Chimères, and to authorize others to reproduce and distribute the Work, in any format;
- To post a version of the Work in an institutional repository or your personal or departmental web page so long as Chimères is cited as the source of first publication of the Work (see sample acknowledgement below).
- To include the Work, in whole or in part, in another work, subject to Section 2 above and provided that Chimères is cited as the source of first publication of the Work (see sample acknowledgement in section 7 of this agreement.)
6. Editing and Formatting. You authorize Chimères to edit the Work and to make such modifications as are technically necessary or desirable to exercise the rights in Section 1 in differing media and formats. Chimères will make no material modification to the content of the Work without your consent.
7. Acknowledgement in other publications: Chimères requests that, should you publish or distribute the Work elsewhere at any time after publication in Chimères, or in any alternate format, you cite the publication in Chimères by author, title, and publisher, through a tagline, author bibliography, or similar means. A sample acknowledgement would be:
Article originally published in Chimères, https://journals.ku.edu/chimeres
8. Privacy Statement. The names and email addresses entered in this journal site will be used exclusively for the stated purposes of this journal, that of publication, and will not be made available for any other purpose or to any other party. Your personal information will not be disseminated by Chimères.
A tradition which began in 1967, Chimères is fully developed, edited, and published by and for graduate students with the continued and unwavering support of our tireless faculty. Professor Kenneth S. White emphasizes the faculty’s dedication to the graduate student experience which ebbs below the surface of each and every edition in his opening letter for the tenth anniversary edition; “Nous avons lancé Chimères pour l’étudiant. Uniquement pour lui.” White emphasizes their commitment to provide us with the experience of seeing our names in print for the very first time – “[i]nstant inoubliable où le sens de la création s’ouvre devant vous.” Publication is, after all, the driving force, the ultimate goal, and the reward for the dark and lonely hours of meticulous reading and research. They provide this opportunity for any and all graduate students who wish to submit their work for review. The journal remains, nevertheless, a creation of the students who express their gratitude for the strength of their faculty’s support, especially to the journal’s faculty advisor, Paul Scott. Their prodding, their time, and their sage advice remain essential to Chimères’s enduring success.
The archives alone convey the concerted effort exerted over the years to maintain, improve, and evolve this publication so that it might remain current with its contemporary trends. The yellowing, twenty-seven, type-print pages of the 1967 edition testify to the complexity of our modern era. This inaugural edition even contains some handwritten revisions. Technology has facilitated the revision process from word processors, to computers, to the luxurious, light-weight, laptop computers we cherish today. And so the associated costs have remained low – our subscription price has barely changed. The first publicized price appeared in the 1973 fall edition for $2.00 per scholastic year or $1.25 per volume. Throughout the 1970s, the graduate students successfully published semi-annual volumes. Though our editions have more than doubled in length, they appear now merely annually, and the subscription price for the printed journal remains accessible to the slimmest of budgets.