Pandemic Prompted Pivoting to Virtual Multidisciplinary Care
Keywords:amyotrophic lateral sclerosis, telemedicine, multi-disciplinary clinic, models of care
The MDA/ALS Clinic at the University of California, San Francisco (UCSF) have recently transitioned our in-person multidisciplinary clinics to a successful, virtual patient experience. Here, we outline our new clinic model, presenting detailed information about our clinics’ virtual workflow and our experiences with this transition. In this way, we hope to demonstrate the feasibility of a large-scale virtual multidisciplinary clinic and assist other clinics (both local and academic) as they transition their care of patients virtually within the COVID-19 environment.
2. Herman C, Mayer K, Sarwal A. Scoping review of prevalence of neurologic comorbidities in patients hospitalized for COVID-19. Neurology Apr 2020, 10.1212/WNL.0000000000009673; DOI: 10.1212/WNL.0000000000009673
3. Association of British Neurologists. Association of British Neurologists guidance on COVID-19 for people with neurological conditions, their doctors and carers. Published March 22, 2020. Available at: https://cdn.ymaws.com/www.theabn.org/resource/ collection/6750BAE6-4CBC-4DDB-A684-116E03BFE634/ABN_Neurology_COVID-19_Guidance_22.3.20.pdf. Accessed on May 26, 2020.
4. Telemedicine and COVID-19 Implementation Guide. American Academy of Neurology. Updated April 10, 2020. Accessed 26May2020.
5. Sharma A, Maxwell CR, Farmer J, Greene-Chandos D, LaFaver K, Benameur K. Initial experiences of US neurologists in practice during the COVID-19 pandemic via survey. Epub ahead of print 21May2020. NEUROLOGY DOI: 10.1212/WNL.0000000000009844
6. Lin C. Invited Commentary: Advancing telerehabilitation in the time of COVID-19. Neurology Blogs. 11May2020. https://blogs.neurology.org/covid-19-coronavirus/invited-commentary-advancing-telerehabilitation-in-the-time-of-covid-19/ . Accessed 26May2020
7. Van De Rijn M, Paganoni S, Levine-Weinberg M, et al. Experience with telemedicine in a multi-disciplinary ALS clinic. Amyotroph Lateral Scler Frontotemporal Degener. 2018;19:143-148. https://doi.org/10.1080/21678421.2017.1392577.
8. Geronimo A, Wright C, Morris A, Walsh S, Snyder B, Simmons Z. Incorporation of telehealth into a multidisciplinary ALS Clinic: feasibility and acceptability. Amyotroph Lateral Scler Frontotemporal Degener. 2017;18:555-561. https://doi.org/10.1080/21678421.2017.1338298.
9. Selkirk SM, Washington MO, McClellan F, Flynn B, Seton JM, Strozewski R. Delivering tertiary centre specialty care to ALS patients via telemedicine: a retrospective cohort analysis, Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis and Frontotemporal Degeneration, 2017, 18:5-6, 324-332, DOI: 10.1080/21678421.2017.1313867
10. Center for Connected Health Policy. Telehealth Coverage Policies in the Time of COVID-19. Available at: cchpca.org/resources/covid-19-telehealth-coverage-policies. Accessed May 27, 2020.
11. Jess M, Timm H, Dieperink KB. Video Consultations in Palliative Care: A Systematic Integrative Review. Palliat Med. 2019 Sep;33(8):942-958. doi: 10.1177/0269216319854938.
How to Cite
Copyright (c) 2020 Brian Stephens, Hannah George, Sara Ng, Paul Sampognaro, Laura Rosow, Catherine Lomen-Hoerth
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivatives 4.0 International License.